Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Juvenile Spotlight: Pure Gossip


One of my favorite things to do is find young horses that have the potential to be superstars. It is very entertaining and rewarding to "discover" two-year-olds before they go on to record prestigious victories. Juvenile Spotlights highlight some of the two-year-olds I have "discovered." Some Juvenile Spotlights feature horses right after they have broken their maiden or after they record their first major victory. Either way, I have followed these horses since before they hit the headlines. I don't do a Juvenile Spotlight on every two-year-old I "discover", but I try to feature as many as I can.

Lane's End Farm, where
Pure Gossip's late
grandsire, Dixieland Band,
stood at stud.
Photo: Terri Cage
I was watching HRTV and knew a New York-bred maiden special weight for two-year-old fillies was coming up at Saratoga. I decided to look up the pedigrees of each filly in the race. Though many had decent pedigrees, I wasn’t super impressed by any pedigree and decided to pick the fillies off of how they looked in the post parade instead.
When Pure Gossip stepped onto the track, I was immediately impressed by her looks. She looked composed and she had incredible conformation. She was the only filly I picked in the race. She went off at odds of 37-1.
At the end of the five and one-half furlong dirt race, the daughter of Pure Prize crossed the wire nearly four lengths ahead of the rest of the field. Though it was a state-bred maiden, I put Pure Gossip in my Equibase Virtual Stable © so I could keep track of her.

Her next race was the Anne M. Clare Stakes at Saratoga, a state-bred stake. The filly made a mild rally and finished fourth in a field of six, though she missed second by just under a length and third by a head.
Pure Gossip was moved to the turf for her next start, the Miss Grillo Stakes (GIII). On the soft turf course, the 23-1 shot exploded at the top of the stretch to win by six and one-half lengths. Though the time for the mile and one-sixteenth race was a slow 1:47.71, it was a very boggy turf course. Yet Pure Gossip still looked very impressive.
Many discount state-bred maiden winners, but they can be good races to find a diamond in the rough, especially in a state like New York. Pure Gossip looks to be like one of those diamonds.


Remember to like Past the Grandstand on Facebook and follow Past the Grandstand on Twitter! Links can be found on the right side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment