Sunday, October 2, 2011

Diary of Dexter: On Top of the World

Diary of Dexter is a series within Past the Grandstand about my retired racehorse, Wet Paint (AKA Dexter). Periodically, the blog will feature updates on the grandson of Storm Cat. You will really grow to love this wonderful horse.

Since he’s been learning the basics of pleasure riding, I have mostly ridden Dexter in a Western saddle. In fact, before last night, I’d only ridden him in an English saddle once. Due to a limited amount of time I had left to ride, I saddled him in an English saddle last night because I can tack up more quickly that way.

I led Dexter into the round pen and after a brief session on the longe line, I climbed aboard. He definitely knew he had a lighter saddle on. There was an extra spring in his step.
Photo by Mary
Once I urged him into a trot, I immediately noticed that he was trotting a bit faster than normal. His ears were pricked and he was just flat out enjoying himself. I allowed him to trot as fast as he wanted and found it very difficult to keep up with him as I posted to his trot.
When it came time to canter, he had a bit of a problem with his right lead, but he eventually got it and cantered beautifully around the pen. When I cantered him on his left lead, I must admit I was filled with bliss. He has a great canter and he clearly had a bit extra spirit under the English saddle.
I rode him in an English saddle again tonight and he rode beautifully. It was a nearly perfect ride. He picked up every lead and responded willingly to everything I asked him to do.
I hope to ride Dexter English more often. It is evident that he has a bright future under an English saddle and most of all, he loves to ride English. I guess it's because of that racing saddle he used to wear.

Remember to like Past the Grandstand on Facebook and follow Past the Grandstand on Twitter! Links can be found on the right side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment