Monday, September 19, 2011

Waiting for an Awesome Return

I had heard about yet another Jacks or Better Farm two-year-old in south Florida. The filly was introduced as Awesome Feather and I planned on watching her race that afternoon, the Florida Stallion My Dear Gal Stakes. However, I ended up riding my horse that evening while the race was run. It is not often for me to miss a race I am looking forward to, but I guess a ride in beautiful weather was too good to pass up and I lost track of time.
I came inside to find out that she had won by over eight lengths. Though I had missed the race, I had found a new horse to cheer for. I must admit, I love Calder two-year-olds. To me, it is like finding a diamond in the rough or an underdog to cheer for. Awesome Feather was that underdog for me.

Awesome Feather battling with R Heat Lightning
before going on to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies
Photo by: Terri Cage

While at the Breeders’ Cup in November 2010, I found myself cheering for the bay daughter of Awesome of Course as she and R Heat Lightning battled down the stretch. I was thrilled when the filly drew off to win the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (GI) under Jeffrey Sanchez. It ended up being one of my favorite races of the 2010 Breeders’ Cup.
Two days later, Awesome Feather was sold for $2,300,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky November select mixed sale. She was purchased by Frank Stronach under the name of Adena Springs and was transferred to Chad Brown’s stable.
Just days before being named Eclipse Champion Two-Year-Old Filly, it was announced that Awesome Feather had an issue with a tendon and would be sidelined for an unknown amount of time. By February, she was walking under tack and by the end of the month, she returned to jogging. She returned to the work tab on May 24, breezing three furlongs at Belmont Park in 36.78. She breezed four more times until some minor issues appeared.
After two more months off, Awesome Feather returned to the work tab yet again. Since August 30, the three-year-old filly has worked four times at Belmont Park. Since returning after her most recent break, Awesome Feather has breezed a half-mile twice and five furlongs twice. 
Trainer Chad Brown believes the filly could be ready to race again in a month. It will be exciting to see last year’s champion juvenile filly return. After all, she is still undefeated. However, we cannot necessarily expect her to win her first time back, as it is difficult for a horse to come back after such a long layoff. Nonetheless, I will be eagerly cheering on the hard-trying bay filly.


Remember to like Past the Grandstand on Facebook and follow Past the Grandstand on Twitter! Links can be found on the right side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment